Come get to know other 9-12 year old girls and their moms at this monthly book club at Books Inc. Laurel Village. Named after our first selection, The Wild Girls by Pat Murphy, this club meets on the 3rd Sunday of each month at 1PM.
This month we're reading Ghost Book by Remy Lai!
From the award-winning author of Pie in the Sky comes a contemporary middle-grade fantasy graphic novel about a girl who can see ghosts and befriends a boy who is stuck between the worlds of the living and the dead—perfect for fans of Spirited Away, Coco, and Ghosts.
Twelve years ago, the boy and the girl lived. But one was supposed to die.
July Chen sees ghosts. But her dad insists ghosts aren’t real. So she pretends they don’t exist. Which is incredibly difficult during Hungry Ghost month, when the Gates of the Underworld open and ghosts run amok in the living world. When July saves a boy ghost from being devoured by a hungry ghost, he becomes her first ever friend. Except William is not a ghost. He’s a wandering soul wavering between life and death. As the new friends set off to return William to his body, they unearth a ghastly truth—for William to live, July must die. Inspired by Chinese mythology, this dark yet hopeful tale about friendship, sacrifice, and the unseen ghost world is a dazzling heir to Studio Ghibli classics.
An Indie Bestseller
An Indie Next List pick
"Absolutely gorgeous and a completely unique adventure. Remy Lai is a master storyteller!" —Christina Soontornvat, two-time Newbery Honor Winner
"Spooky, spellbinding and full of heart!" —Kayla Miller, bestselling author of Click
"A deliciously spooky, funny adventure. I adored this story of friendship, loss, love, and dumplings! July Chen is a kid I would gladly follow to the Underworld and back." —Jessica Townsend, bestselling author of The Nevermoor series
* "An entertaining, engaging read with echoes of Miyazaki's film Spirited Away." —Horn Book, starred review
* "Lai navigates profound questions of fate and friendship via Chinese mythology in this playful graphic novel ghost story [with a] richly imagined underworld." —Publishers Weekly, starred review
* "Lai is a master of middle-grade sensibilities . . . An unforgettable adventure full of surprises, laughs, ghosts, and dumplings." —Booklist, starred review
* For kids who eat up graphic novels like Anya’s Ghost, Pilu of the Woods, and Ghosts, Ghost Book will make a perfect addition to their shelves." —BookPage, starred review
* "Ghost Book expertly balances eerie ghoulishness with lighthearted fun for a memorable middle-grade adventure." —Shelf Awareness, starred review
"A delightful balance of spooky, sweet, and funny." —Kirkus
"Fans of Disney’s Coco and Studio Ghibli’s Spirited Away will find this graphic novel filled with humor and love, with unforgettable characters and unbreakable friendships." —BCCB