Sex, Teens, and Everything in Between: The New and Necessary Conversations Today's Teenagers Need to Have about Consent, Sexual Harassment, Healthy Relationships, Love, and More (Paperback)
The ultimate guide for parenting today's teenagers, helping to empower them with essential knowledge about consent, sexual harassment, healthy relationships, love, and more
Written by Shafia Zaloom, an expert in adolescent sexual health education, this book sparks the necessary conversations that teenagers need to have in order to navigate their sexual journeys with confidence and understanding.
Features of the book include:
- Comprehensive Coverage: This book covers a wide range of crucial topics, including consent, sexual harassment, healthy relationships, love, communication, boundaries, gender identity, and more.
- Teen-Focused Approach: With a compassionate and non-judgmental tone, the book speaks directly to teenagers, respecting their experiences and addressing their concerns.
- Up-to-Date Information: Based on the latest research and insights, this book provides accurate and relevant information that reflects the realities of today's rapidly evolving social and digital landscape.
- Practical Guidance: Sex, Teens, and Everything in Between offers practical advice and strategies for navigating complex situations, empowering teenagers to make informed choices and cultivate healthy relationships.
- Real-Life Stories: Engaging anecdotes and real-life stories shared in the book create relatable scenarios, helping teenagers understand different perspectives and navigate real-world challenges.
- Inclusive and Intersectional: The book embraces diversity, highlighting the experiences of marginalized communities and emphasizing the importance of inclusivity and respect for all individuals.
- Parent and Educator Resource: An invaluable tool for parents, guardians, and educators seeking to initiate meaningful conversations about sex and relationships with teenagers, providing guidance on how to be supportive and understanding.
Empower today's teenagers with the knowledge and skills they need to build healthy relationships, make informed choices, and navigate the complexities of adolescence.
"Sex, Teens, & Everything in Between is the ultimate relationship guide for teens of all orientations and identities. Teens will find the information, tools and wisdom to support their development of personal and sexual agency. These pages are loaded with familiar scenarios, each followed by helpful perspective and a breakdown of potential choices and outcomes relating to each situation. Shafia provides readers the fuel to make the consent conversation clear, relevant and applicable for everyone, acknowledging the interconnected factors of social media, normalized hookup culture, Internet porn and gender norms." — Cindy Pierce, author of Sexploitation: Helping Kids Develop Healthy Sexuality in a Porn-Driven World
"Adolescent sexuality has become more complex and the issues surrounding it more difficult than ever before. Shafia is a rational voice for parents, caregivers, and kids on this difficult and sometimes awkward topic. Sex, Teens, & Everything in Between is a must read for the parent, caregiver, and educator who would like to understand the teen universe of all things sex, and pro-actively and thoughtfully engage with their teens around these challenging topics." — Debra Wilson, President of the Southern Association of Independent Schools
"Shafia is not only an elite educator but also a passionate and dedicated advocate for teens. Sex, Teens, & Everything in Between perfectly encapsulates her mission at the cutting edge of sex education: teaching adolescents how to become people of integrity with regard to sex and relationships. We are respectfully horny for this book." — Nick Kroll and Andrew Goldberg, creators of "Big Mouth"
"As a sex educator, I know that these are the real issues that teens have questions and concerns about. I really appreciate Shafia's candid discussion about teen sexuality, including many topics that they would likely be afraid to bring up with their own parents. Her book is very inclusive, and discusses perspectives and motivations that would be eye opening to parents. What a great resource to help teens navigate the sexual decisions of our modern culture and make smart choices. I wish everyone could have a Shafia as their personal counselor!" — Ivy Chen, Professor at San Francisco State, Department of Sociology and Sexuality Studies
"This extraordinary and comprehensive work by Shafia Zaloom appears just in time; she has fashioned her life’s work as a health educator into a bold and powerful framework that answers pressing questions about budding sexuality and consent. However, the book does far more; it holds each of us accountable for doing our part to help adolescents develop intimate relationships rooted in communication and care. The author has rendered a great service to parents and educators. You must read her unflinching treatise on developing socially and emotionally sound adults." — Dr. Louis N. Wool, Superintendent of Schools, Harrison Central School District, New York State School Superintendent of the Year 2010
"Shafia Zaloom has created a roadmap for every teen, every parent, and every family navigating the sometimes frightening intersection of loving, healthy relationships, sex, and digital technology. Zaloom is a gifted educator who approaches her work with compassion, a deep knowledge of the lives of today's teens, as well as candor—and well-placed humor. She shows us that underlying teens' complex relationships with technology and sex are the age-old human needs for caring, connection and respect." — Esta Soler, President, Futures Without Violence
"These are the conversations every parent wants to be having with their teenagers. The pages are filled with sensitive, honest and utterly urgent case studies that give us insight into the importance and delicacy of sexual consent. Shafia provides an unflinching examination of consent education - we can’t afford to look away." — Bonni Cohen, documentary film director of Audrie & Daisy (as seen on Netflix)