Books Inc. Campbell's Teen Advisory Board (TAB) Information and Application
We are so excited that you are interested in joining Books Inc.’s very first Teen Advisory Board! Please make sure to read our goals and expectations for the Teen Advisory Board. If it all sounds fun to you, you are between the ages of 13 & 17, and you think you can agree to the commitment, make sure to fill out and return the application and the parent/ guardian permission slip linked below to Books Inc. Campbell.
Teen Advisory Board Goals and Expectations
Our goal in creating the Teen Advisory Board (TAB) is to foster a community with our Teen readers. We are looking for enthusiastic teens, ages 13-17, interested in all things book related who are able to meet once a month to review books, create interesting displays, volunteer at events, and give informed and unique event and buying input.
TAB Members will be required to:
- Attend at least 6 of the 9 meetings, including 2 of the 3 Event Scheduling meetings (in bold)
- Write at least three 2-3 paragraph reviews for Books Inc’s YA Blog
- Volunteer for at least 2 Books Inc. Kids or YA events
TAB Members are encouraged to:
- Create fun and eye-catching book displays
- Write creative and fun blog posts
- Promote Books Inc.’s YA events on personal social media accounts, specifically those hosted in Santa Clara
- Write Shelf Talkers for the YA section
- Come up with fun themes and craft ideas for future meetings
- Give buying advice to the Books Inc. Children’s specialist
- Nominate a Buzz Book
- Give feedback and advice on NYMBC Teen Events
- Interview YA authors
- Volunteer at author events
- Recruit fellow book lovers for TAB
- Attend other Books Inc. Events
- Read and have fun!
Each meeting will be 1-2 hours long depending on the pre-planned activities, and will be supervised by the Books Inc. Children’s specialist or Manager. At our August meeting we will discuss, as a group, what the members want to accomplish or do at each meeting. However, the most important thing we’ll do is talk about books! Review them, write shelf-talkers, and convince the Books Inc. Children’s Specialist on what we HAVE to have on our shelves.
At the bolded, required meetings, Hannah Walcher, the Event Coordinator for Books Inc.’s YA Author Event Series, Not Your Mother’s Book Club, will meet with the TAB to go over the season’s Event Grids. The teens will have an opportunity to see the authors visiting the Bay Area on tour and select a few to request an event for. Then they’ll write an event request for Hannah to review. *Though we cannot guarantee that we’ll get the authors we request, Hannah will do her best to convey the TAB’s excitement to the publishers with the hopes of them sending their requested author(s) to Books Inc. Santa Clara!
2019/2020 Schedule *
*Every Second Saturday from 3-5PM , time and dates are subject to change
July – NO MEETING
August-8/10- Welcome Back/ Discuss YA Event Scheduling w/ Event Coordinator
December- NO MEETING
January- 1/11 Welcome Back/ Disucss YA Event Scheudling w/ Event Coordinator
May- 5/9Last Meeting Before Summer Break/ Discuss Event Scheduling
June- NO MEETING
If you have reviewed our requirements and schedule and are excited and able to join Books Inc. Campbell's first ever Teen Advisory Board, follow the link below and submit your completed application to Books Inc. Campbell before the first meeting you are able to attend.