Why Shop Indie
Why shop Indie?
When you shop at an independently owned business, your entire community benefits:The Economy
- Spend $100 at a local and $68 of that stays in your community. Spend the same $100 at a national chain, and your community only sees $43.
- Local businesses create higher-paying jobs for our neighbors.
- More of your taxes are reinvested in your community--where they belong.
- Buying local means less packaging, less transportation, and a smaller carbon footprint.
- Shopping in a local business district means less infrastructure, less maintenance, and more money to beautify your community.
- Local retailers are your friends and neighbors—support them and they’ll support you.
- Local businesses donate to charities at more than twice the rate of national chains.
- More independents means more choice, more diversity, and a truly unique community.
Now is the time to stand up and join your fellow individuals in the IndieBound mission supporting local businesses and celebrating independents.
EAT ♦ SLEEP ♦ READ
One of the most familiar slogans and posters you will see displayed prominently in independent booksellers throughout the world just got a big vote of confidence by President Barack Obama. The 2011 American Booksellers Association’s Winter Institute, known as Wi6, was held in Washington DC in mid January. The annual 3 day bookseller educational conference brought 500 booksellers from all over the world. Joining the American Booksellers Association this year were booksellers from Sweden, Great Britain, New Zealand, Norway, Australia, Israel and Denmark.
The Board of Directors of the American Booksellers Association continued a tradition that dates back to the administration of Herbert Hoover of presenting books to the President of the United. The group was welcome into the Oval Office by President Obama and each Board Member had the opportunity to present the president with a book chosen for him and his family. Books Inc. president/CEO and co-owner, Michael Tucker, then serving as President of ABA’s Board of Directors (second from the left in the above photo) presented Mr. Obama with Atlantic by Simon Winchester. After, the above photo opportunity and 15 minutes chatting , President Obama presented each visitor with a signed copy of his book, The Audacity of Hope and his parting words, in reference to his book were “I don’t want to see these on eBay”… You never will, Mr. President, you can count on that!