Shopping Local Independent BusinessesBooks Inc. and other independent booksellers around the Bay and around the US are partnering with customers like YOU, who are a unique, imaginative, thoughtful, civic-minded individuals and want to support your community by joining IndieBound.org, whose mission it is to help people across the United States and share independently-owned businesses. Go to www.indiebound.org for more info now.
Here’s some of what you do when you shop local.
• Spend $100 at a local and $68 of that stays in your community. Spend the same $100 at a national chain, and your community only sees $43.
• Buying local means less packaging, less transportation, and a smaller carbon footprint.
• Shopping in a local business district means less infrastructure, less maintenance, and more money to beautify your community.
• Local retailers are your friends and neighbors—support them and they’ll support you.
• Local businesses donate to local schools and charities at more than twice the rate of national chains.
• More independents means more choice, more diversity, and a truly unique community.
It’s so seductive to save 10%, but not paying sales tax at some online retailers is undercutting the local businesses that keep your community vibrant and unique. Get the facts about E-Fairness. Go to http://www.bookweb.org/advocacy/salestax for more info.