- About Us
- Books Inc. Bestsellers
- Indie Bestsellers
- Award Winners
- Agatha Award
- Anthony Awards
- Caldecott Medal
- Edgar Allen Poe Award
- Hugo Award
- Indies Choice Award
- James Beard Foundation
- Lambda Literary Award
- Man Booker Prize
- National Book Awards
- National Book Critics Circle
- Nebula Award
- Newberry Award
- Nobel Prize for Literature
- PEN/Faulkner Award
- PEN/Hemingway Foundation
- Pulitzer Prizes
- Triangle Awards
- Indie Next
- Recently Reviewed
- Book Clubs
- Thinking Parents' Book Group
- Classics I Forgot To Read
- Big Yes Society
- 4th Tuesday Book Club
- Silicon Valley Reads 2013
- The Cooks & Books Book Club
- B.G.P Social Network
- Big Yes Society Discussion
- Broken Compass Adventure
- Central SF Classic Lit
- Cooks and Books
- Desert Island Book Club
- First Saturday Book Club
- Hands On Bay Area
- Healthy Lives: The Book Club
- The Hungry Bookseller
- The Intimates: East Bay Queer Book Club
- LitVoyeur (Online)
- Neptune Garden Book Club
- Night of the Living Book Club
- Politically Inspired Book Club
- Recommended by a Stranger
- SF LGBT/Books Inc.
- SF Travel Book Club
- Women We'd Like To Lunch With
- World Affairs Council
- Not Your Mother's ACTUAL Book Club
- One City One Book
- Second Saturday
- Young@Heart Book Club
- Calendar of Events
- Kid Stuff
- Signed Books
- Textbook Rental
Books must show On Our Shelves Now for same day pick-up in stores.
We recommend calling stores that show low stock numbers.
Our Bodies, Ourselves is the resource that women of all ages turn to for information about their bodies, sexuality, and reproductive health. Completely revised and updated, these pages provide women with the information and tools they need to make key health decisions—accurate, evidence-based information, input from leading experts, and personal stories from women who share their experiences. This new edition of Our Bodies, Ourselves includes the latest vital information on:
• CHANGES IN THE HEALTH CARE SYSTEM—especially how health care reform affects women and how to get the care you need.
• SAFER SEX—how to engage in pleasurable, satisfying sexual experiences while protecting your health and the health of your partner.
• ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH RISKS—including minimizing exposure to everyday pollutants that endanger reproductive health.
• BODY IMAGE—resisting negative media stereotypes and embracing healthier approaches to looking and feeling good.
• LOCAL AND GLOBAL ACTIVISM—using social media and organizing tactics to build community and advocate for policies that improve women’s lives. • As well as crucial information about gender identity, sexual orientation, birth control, abortion, pregnancy and birth, perimenopause, and sexuality and sexual health as we age.
Together with its companion website, ourbodiesourselves.org, Our Bodies, Ourselves is a one-stop resource for women of all generations.
About the Author
The Boston Women's Health Book Collective (now known as Our Bodies Ourselves) is a non-profit organization founded in 1969 whose board members include Teresa Heinz Kerry, Susan Love, and Gloria Steinem. Their mission is to empower women by providing information about health, sexuality, and reproduction. Our Bodies, Ourselves is the organization's core vehicle for driving their mission. While OBOS is famous for its voice in policy, advocacy, and educational efforts related to women's health, they see their role as a global content provider as paramount. Judy Norsigian is the Executive Director of Our Bodies Ourselves.
Praise for Our Bodies, Ourselves…
This flawlessly updated edition does justice to the legacy of Our Bodies, Ourselves, which has been synonymous with women's empowerment for the past 40 years. Incredibly detailed, empowering, and enriched by the extremely diverse opinions and positions of its collaborators, this should be on the bookshelves of women young and old worldwide!
-- Nancy Redd, author of Body Drama and Diet Drama
The new edition of Our Bodies, Ourselves offers a relatable voice to help make the very confusing reality of health and sexuality as a girl easier to navigate. In a world that doesn't always offer girls such honesty, the new edition of OBOS makes me optimistic about the awareness and attitude of this generation of women and girls. My brain was fist pumping the whole way through.
-- Tavi Gevinson, thestylerookie.com and editor-in-chief of Rookie Magazine
This revamped edition of Our Bodies, Ourselves shows just how far we've come in the women's health movement. The level of inclusiveness of my community--those of us who are queer, trans or gender non-conforming--is remarkable. If this had been the edition that my mom gave me as a pre-teen, my life and coming-of-age would have been so different and much less confusing. It also artfully lays out the reality of women's health as a political issue--one that goes way beyond simply understanding how our bodies work. The 40th anniversary edition proves that education is a radical act and that sharing our struggles, triumphs and stories can ultimately change the world.
- -Miriam Zoila Pérez, Editor, Feministing.com, Founder, Radicaldoula.com, and recipient of the Barbara Seaman Award for Activism in Women's Health
OBOS is the most important resource on women’s health ever written by and for women. It teaches every woman how to take charge of her own body and helps us all become well-informed health care consumers.
-- Loretta Ross, founder and the National Coordinator of the SisterSong Women of Color Reproductive Health Collective
This is truly the bible on women’s health! It has been completely revised and updated for a new generation of women who will need its guidance more than ever as they attempt to take control of their health.
-- Susan Love, M.D., author of Dr. Susan Love’s Breast Book and Dr. Susan Love’s Menopause and Hormone Book and co-author of Live a Little!
If only every little girl were born with a copy of Our Bodies, Ourselves in her hands, we would raise a society filled with healthy, confident women. And if women could have only one book on their shelves, let it be this classic tome filled to the brim with practical and empowering information.
-- Toni Weschler, M.P.H., author of Taking Charge of Your Fertility