- Kid Stuff
- About Us
- Award Winners
- Agatha Award
- Anthony Awards
- Caldecott Medal
- Edgar Allen Poe Award
- Hugo Award
- Indies Choice Award
- James Beard Foundation
- Lambda Literary Award
- Man Booker Prize
- National Book Awards
- National Book Critics Circle
- Nebula Award
- Newberry Award
- Nobel Prize for Literature
- PEN/Faulkner Award
- PEN/Hemingway Foundation
- Pulitzer Prizes
- Triangle Awards
- Book Clubs
- One City One Book - San Francisco Reads
- Thinking Parents' Book Group
- Classics I Forgot To Read
- Big Yes Society
- 4th Tuesday Book Club
- Silicon Valley Reads 2013
- The Cooks & Books Book Club
- B.G.P Social Network
- Big Yes Society Discussion
- Broken Compass Adventure
- Central SF Classic Lit
- Cooks and Books
- Desert Island Book Club
- First Saturday Book Club
- Hands On Bay Area
- Healthy Lives: The Book Club
- The Hungry Bookseller
- The Intimates: East Bay Queer Book Club
- LitVoyeur (Online)
- Modern Lit Book Club
- The Magical Adventures Book Club
- Neptune Garden Book Club
- Night of the Living Book Club
- Politically Inspired Book Club
- Recommended by a Stranger
- SF Business Book Club
- SF LGBT/Books Inc.
- SF Travel Book Club
- Women We'd Like To Lunch With
- World Affairs Council
- Second Saturday
- Book Fairs
- Calendar of Events
- Indie Next
Please note: Books must show On Our Shelves Now for same day pick-up in stores.
We recommend calling stores that show low stock numbers.
Outsmart Your Genes: How Understanding Your DNA Will Empower You to Protect Yourself Against Cancer,Alzheimer's, Heart Disease, (Hardcover)
This Book Is Not Sold Online - In Store Special Order Only
Special Order - Subject to Availability
Predictive medicine is the most exciting—and potentially groundbreaking—medical development in decades. Written by Brandon Colby, MD, a leader in the fields of predictive medicine and genetic testing, Outsmart Your Genes will empower you, the reader, with a clear understanding of exactly what predictive medicine entails and how it can be used today to protect your health as well as the health of those you love.
Written in straightforward, nontechnical language, Outsmart Your Genes enables everyone, even those without any background in genetics or medicine, to understand the benefits of predictive medicine. Separating myth from fact and answering all the tough questions, Outsmart Your Genes clearly explains:
- How the revolutionary new medical specialty called predictive medicine analyzes your genes and provides you with clear solutions to protect your health and wellbeing.
- What the process will entail and how simple it is. For example, the process doesn’t even require blood or use needles – instead, all that’s needed in order to run the analysis is a small amount of your saliva.
- What your genes can reveal about your overall health and how we can use that information to provide you with a genetically tailored plan for preventing cancer, Alzheimer's, heart disease, obesity, and many other conditions. As opposed to just generalities, specific examples are given so that you’ll know exactly how medicine will improve your life.
- The many ways in-which learning about your genes can help you formulate a genetically tailored nutrition and athletic plan that may help you shed those extra pounds and stay trim and fit.
- How predictive medicine can help both prospective and current parents protect their children against SIDS and also help minimize the impact of and most effectively treat many other childhood diseases such as autism, asthma, dyslexia, obesity, and diabetes.
- Why analyzing your children’s genes may provide the best chance they have to fight against diseases that may not affect them until later in life, including Alzheimer’s, many forms of cancer (such as breast cancer and skin cancer), multiple sclerosis, and even hearing loss.
- How groundbreaking advancements in the fields of genetic analysis, including predictive medicine panels and disease matrix technology, allow you and your physician to avoid information overload and focus only on the information most relevant to you.
- The important concepts you need to understand before speaking with a doctor.
- The top five questions you need to ask in order to assess:
- The credibility of the laboratory doing the testing.
- The types of diseases included in the test.
- How thoroughly the test actually evaluates your risk for each of the diseases.
- Whether the information is provided in a way that makes it actionable.
- Whether the results will be delivered in a format that is straightforward and easy to understand.
About the Author
Brandon Colby, MD, is a world leader in the revolutionary field of predictive medicine. This new medical specialty combines comprehensive genetic testing with personalized prevention in order to provide you with clear solutions to protect and improve your health. The primary goal of predictive medicine is to empower you to fight back and protect yourself against disease before it ever manifests.
Dr. Colby practices predictive medicine in Los Angeles, California. For more information visit his website.